Tom Slingsby at Gosford Sailing Club Thursday 14th November
Change to Sailing Instructions for Scoring 3 November 2013
Due to our increased fleet size the scoring of DNS which stood at 40 points is inappropriate now being less than the points for some boats which started and finished a race. To correct this anomaly and bring the scoring more into line with Racing Rules of Sailing the following change is made to the series scoring Paragraph 1.3 of the Laser Sailing Instructions.
3.1. Racing Rules of Sailing 2013-2016 Appendix A A4 Low Point System shall used to score Pointscore and Championship Series with the following modifications:
- A boat which did not finish scores the points for the finishing place one more than the number of boats entered in the race.
- A boat which was disqualified scores the points for the finishing place five more than the number of boats entered in the race.
- A boat which did not start in a race scores the points for the finishing place one more than the number of boats entered in the respective series.
GSC Try Sailing Day 27th October
48 people came along for the Club’s try sailing day on Sunday 27th October. There were GSC sailors with the FEVA’s, Fireballs, Magic and Laser to give folks a taste of sailing. The wind was kind not to strong and not to light.
The picture is of Claire Heenan with her first try sailing customer before venturing out on the Club Laser.
Change to Laser Sailing Instructions
There has been a change to the Laser Sailing Instructions to reflect the new arrangements for the finish line.
The altered and added paragraphs are:
1.3. The Start line will be between a staff displaying a Blue flag on the Race Committee Vessel at the starboard end of the line and a mark with a pink flag at the port end of the line.
1.4. The Finish line will be between a staff displaying a Blue flag on the Race Committee Vessel at the port end of the line and a mark with a Blue flag at the starboard end.
1.5. Boats shall not pass through the Finish Line in either direction when the committee vessel is on station (Flying the Blue on station Flag), except when finishing the race. Failure to observe this rule will result in the Boat being scored DNF. This alters RRS 28
The course diagram showing the changed finishing line is below.
The revised Laser Fleet Sailing Instructions are here.
30 Boats for the Bill Bowry Regatta Race
There was a great turnout with 30 starters for the first race of the season the Bill Bowry Regatta on Saturday.
You can see the full results here.
Boat Fix It Day 20th July 10.00am
This Saturday from 10.00am – NB Sailsports are hosting a boat “fix it” day at the Club.
Come down and work on your boat in company. Mitch Buckingham will have a wagon of stuff, and expertise for all those gel coat nicks & scratches.
Club Working Bee 8.30am 27th July
For your calendar the club working bee is on 27th July starting at 8.30am.
Jobs assigned for the Lasers are:
- Trailer maintenance
- Detail Club Ribs
- Reorganise and clean up boatshed
- Clean outside GRP tables
- Paint gates and replace wheels
- Clean outside drains
- Clean out PJ shed
- Clean boat ramp.
Peter Walsh has paint, grease and detergents. It would useful be bring along scrubbing and paint brushes and brooms.
We always get a great roll-up from the Laser Section for this event so lock it into your busy winter diary.
Laser Presentation 18th May 2013
Photos from the Laser Presentation are here.
The sailing photos shown at the presentation are here.
Captains Report for Season 2012/13
You can see Brian Baker’s wrap on last season here.
- 31 race days with 51 races (including AuGust Series) completed.
- 51 sailors competed in at least one race with fleets around 25 to 30 each Saturday.
- A number of young new faces joining the Laser ranks.
- GSC member Tom Burton retains world number one rank and wins his third consecutive National Laser Title.
Laser Section Annual General Meeting Sunday 5th May 10.30am
The Laser Section AGM will be held in the downstairs meeting room at the Club on Sunday 5th May starting at 10.30am.
The agenda and copies of all the documents for discussion including next season’s Sailing Instructions and draft sailing program are here.
Come along and have your say.
Final 2012/13 Season Results
Deran has finalised the season results for Club Championship, Season Pointscore and Sprint Series. You can see the results on the website under Sailing/Lasers/Laser Results or just click here.
Congratulations to all the winners.
Laser Presentation 18th May
- Tickets are now on sale for Laser Presentation Extravaganza on Saturday 18th May 6.30pm for 7.00pm.
- The tickets are $20 per head for Laser sailors and partners and $45 for guests.
- The tickets are available at the club office which is open business hours.
- You can ring the office on 02 4325 7216 and arrange to pay for tickets by credit card for pickup at the bar after hours.
- Ticket sales will have to close on 11th May so we can confirm our restaurant booking numbers and arrangements.
Offshore Regatta Ettalong 6 April
A small but enthusiastic fleet sailed in the ofshore regatta from Ettalong on 6th April. We sailed two races in a 5 to 10 knot S to SSW breeze. There were 3 ladies and 3 blokes. The ladies were first second and third and the blokes filled the other positions. First was Jane Humphris with two wins. Jane wins the Offshore Throphy.
Thanks to Bill Bollard for lending his boat for the start and finish. Thanks also to Brian Baker for organising and laying the courses and to Bazza Pownall and Dave Burrows for helping out.
Laser Dates for Your Calendar
Here are some dates to put on your calendar for upcoming GSC Laser events.
- Saturday 6th April – Off the Beach Sailing from Ettalong to mark the start of the Gosford to Lord Howe Race, rig on the beach at Ettalong local to the boat ramp opposite Half Tide Rocks and sail on Broken Bay, approx. 1 pm start. Don’t worry the tides are good on this day. NOR and SI will be issued soon.
- Laser AGM is schedule for Sunday 5th May at 10.30 am in the Juniors Room at GSC, come along and have a say in the next seasons events.
- Saturdays 18th May is the Laser Fleet’s annual presentation dinner to be held at GSC, three course meal and a few laughs along the way.
Sailing members and their partners $20 per head.
Any other guest would be at $45 per head.
Tickets will be available at the bar starting 6th April.
Ticket Sale will have to close 11th May as we have to advise our firm number to the restaurant on that date so get in early.
Hope to see you all at these events.
Winter Sailing @ Woollahra
16th June to 4th August 2013
- All classed supported
- Development Laser 4.7 fleet
- Sunday 10 a.m. Start
- Rigging area available on foreshore park
- Prizes sponsored by NBLaser
Woollahra Sailing Club
Phone: 9371 9805